Sunday, 7 February 2016


I had a bit of a dyeing day today. It was a nice day, and I had intended to go to the studio, but then I started one dye bath, and then another, and before you know it, there were three dye-baths going on.

First there were a couple of yellow acid dye baths. I put a variety of yarns in there, some blue to get green, some rosy pink to get orange, some beige and some natural wools.

Here is the range, various oranges, lemon and other yellows and the greens. The picture doesn't do the colours justice, they are in fact a lot stronger than is shown here.

Another dye bath was a violet cold water dye. This is obviously for cellulose fibre, so I dyed some linen and cottons.

This photograph does not show the colours properly. But basically there are various shades of violet, and some very pale yarns. I also included some natural coloured flax which didn't pick up the dye very well.

A finally I used a vintage Dylon universal dye to dye both cellulose and protein fibres, a bright turquoise.

Overall a productive day. My head was buzzing with plans for project including using some yarns in felt making, using discharge dyeing and embroidery on this old nightie I dyed turquoise and so on - lots of ideas just bursting to get out into the fibre.

1 comment: